The Green Chemist

I love meeting new people, but am not too fond of having to introduce myself. How do I sum up who I am in a 5 minute convo?  So many of us wear many hats - as parents, children, employees, coaches, neighbors, churchgoers, volunteers, and the list goes on.  We are each so many things to so many people.  So I'll try to keep it short and sweet.  



First and foremost, I am a follower of Jesus.  Secondly, I am a wife and a mother of 4. Their ages are 10, 8, 3, and 1. I get to homeschool the oldest two and stay home with all four of them. Did I mention they are all girls? My poor husband!  They're great kids, and teaching them one-on-one has really opened up my eyes to their amazing strengths and talents.

I am a legit chemist - I got my chemistry degree and previously worked for a reputable drug testing company in their Research and Development Department. I love getting to know things on their simplest level - atoms and molecules - which even the most natural and organic items have.  God gave us such an amazing Creation!  There are so many good things he gave us to eat and use! In everything I make, I use pure and natural oils, and I don't use any artificial or synthetic colors or scents, which can be irritants. I also try to embrace the responsibility He gave us to take care of His Creation

So, how did I get started on soaping?  I was in the shower one day, thinking about how much I hated my "soap" (which turned out to not even be soap, but more on that later) and I decided to try my hand at soap-making. The nerdy chemist in me was a little over-eager to don my safety glasses again.  And, simply put, I LOVED it!!  I loved making it and I really loved using it!

The Green Chemist was born.

While my first batch of soap was about a million times better than any commercial bar I had ever used, I knew it could be better. See, one of my little girls was diagnosed in 2016 with a rare skin condition resulting in red, dry, thin, itchy skin that she struggles with daily.  My mission instantly became to create the best bar of soap possible, something that would give my baby girl a break, and not contain anything that would cause irritation. 
I researched everything I could get my hands on about the chemistry of soapmaking and I studied how each oil (the fatty acid chains) would react with the lye to create soap.  It took a - ahem - few tries to create my PERFECT bar of soap - silky and smooth, rinsing off cleanly, and leaving your skin feeling spectacular - but I did it!  And I continue to research and experiment with oils and add-ins that could help my little girl and others who are craving an incredible soapy experience.

Comments

Popular Posts